how acupuncture can help with IVF
why choosing a fellow of A.B.O.R.M. is important
We use an integrative approach at alma acupuncture. You can be anywhere on your fertility journey and know that we are here to assist you in building your family. Adrianne Ortega, LAc, FABORM is the only bilingual and female fellow of A.B.O.R.M. (American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine) in the city of San Antonio. It is her goal to help anyone that may be struggling with their fertility to support them to attain their wellness goals in a compassionate and healing environment.
Regardless of the medical diagnosis, acupuncture can support the following assisted reproduction cycle types:
- Donor (embryo, egg and/or sperm)
- Gestational Carrier
- Pre-implantation Genetic Screening or Diagnosis or Comprehensive Chromosomal Screening
- Intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI)
- Intra-uterine inseminations (IUI)
When should I start acupuncture before transfer?
You should begin, as soon as possible. Generally, it is recommended that you have acupuncture once a week. These treatments serve to help regulate your cycle, as well as get rid of symptoms associated with PMS which are: spotting, headaches, painful cramping, breast tenderness, and/or emotional symptoms (irritability, moodiness, etc.) The amount of time it takes to help patients to prepare for a successful IVF/IUI cycle varies. It varies because follicles go through a 90-120 day follicular period of development before they are released for fertilization, we generally recommend a minimum of 3 months of treatment prior, in order to maximize the quality of your follicles.
Why does acupuncture help?
Acupuncture is recommended for patients doing IVF/IUI because it can help with egg quality, help correct any cycle or lining irregularities, increase blood flow to the reproductive organs, regulate hormones, and help reduce cortisol (stress hormone). All of which are important for successful implantation and conception. A team of researchers attempted to measure the effect of acupuncture on IVF treatment success by the University of Maryland School of Medicine. These experts found that the course of acupuncture may raise success of IVF treatment by 65%.
Over the years I’ve treated many reproductive health concerns and have provided support for the following conditions:
- Advanced maternal age, Diminished Ovarian Reserve (DOR) and Premature Ovarian Failure (POF)
- Miscarriage or Recurrent Pregnancy Loss (RPL)
- Fertility and IUI/IVF Preparation
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and anovulation
- Auto-immune issues and thyroid irregularities
- Abnormal semen parameters (low count/ volume, poor morphology or motility)
- PMS/PMDD & Painful Periods
- Unexplained Infertility
Take the first step
Please call alma acupuncture today to schedule at 210.840.9407
S e h a b l a E s p a ñ o l